[mythtv-users] How do you speed up screen refreshes in VNC when MythTV (Mythbuntu) is in OpenGL Mode?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Jan 31 01:08:43 UTC 2010

nospam312 wrote:
>> No, that is an argument you give to mythfrontend when starting it, to force
>> it into using Qt instead of whatever you have defined in the database.
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion but as mythfrontend is always running on the
> machine I am connecting too I prefer to keep it in OpenGL as I assume
> this is the better option to use?  It is a pity no one knows about
> -noxdamage as going off a Google search that is the answer but there
> is not quite enough information to get it working in Mythbuntu.
> Perhaps it doesn't solve the problem anyone

'noxdamage' isn't going to do a thing, because you're still going to be
waiting on the (extremely slow) MESA libraries for rendering.  When you
do the fading menu transitions in the OpenGL painter, your computer will
choke hard, and there's not really anything you can do about it.

What exactly are you using VNC for?  Is there any reason why you
couldn't just open up a new X server, rather than hooking into the
existing one, and open a new frontend instance using the Qt painter for
whatever tasks you need to perform?