[mythtv-users] easy way to switch between playback profiles?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Jan 29 21:25:53 UTC 2010

On 01/29/2010 12:03 PM, Mike wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 8:13 AM, R. G. Newbury<newbury at mandamus.org>  wrote:

>>> Doesn't help you, yet, but there is talk of adding another criterion for
>>> playback profile usage to allow specifying CODEC.
>>
>> If I read you correctly, you are trying to play xvid files using MythVideo,
>> but running into problems with settings for your MythTV profiles.
>>
>> But these are different things. Mythvideo player settings are in Setup ->
>> Videos Settings ->Player Settings...and usually involve the -vo switches for
>> mplayer ( -vo xv or -vo xvmc etc).
>>
>> Or have you added a new file type 'xvid' and set the default player to
>> 'internal' in file settings? (in which case, try using mplayer with -vo xvmc
>> etc.)
>>
>> Or are you importing these xvids into your mythtv structure as if they are
>> recorded tv shows?
>>
>> It seems that channel 10 is an HD stream although why it will not play even
>> badly with xv is odd. Also odd that xvmc will not work while playing the
>> xvid files.
>>
>> I'm missing something here.
>>
>> Geoff
>>

>>         Please let me know if anything I say offends you.
>>          I may wish to offend you again in the future.
>>
>>          Tux says: "Be regular. Eat cron flakes."
>>

> Hi Geoff,
>
> The xvid files I am referring to are those downloaded off the web and
> usually have filenames like xxxyyy_xvid.avi ... they don't require
> XvMC to play back w/o stuttering and when I try to use XvMC to play
> them back I hear only audio.  I ftp these into the videos directory of
> the mythdora box.
>
> You are correct that I am using "Internal" as the default playback.
> If I go with your options or xine (tried that awhile back) my position
> is not saved during playback so if I exit the recording and want to go
> back in I have to manually find where I left off.  Hence, using
> "Internal" seemed like the best option here.  Is there a way to use an
> "External" player (mplayer or xine) and have it remember the position
> in the recording when you go back?

IIRC mplayer can remember your position. Google for it. As to playing
them with xvmc, I am surprised it does not work. Try playing one of them
with  mplayer -vo xvmc etc. and watch the output. You may be missing a
plugin which is why they do not play. Look for avifile-xvid-plugin
(according to google!)

That may fix the problem.
On another note, I am not sure that the TV playback profiles are used
when playing videos with the 'Internal' player, but I could be way wrong
on that.

Geoff