[mythtv-users] UPnP and Video Metadata

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 00:02:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Robert McNamara
>> <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The uPnP server does its own scan, and doesn't use the DB metadata at
>>> all, so what you see is accurate.
>>
>> depending on your definition of 'accurate'. Perhaps you mean 'expected
>> in the current implementation' :)
>>
>> Seems strange to let myth gather all this metadata and then not have
>> upnp use it. But some of the recent posts lead me to believe that upnp
>> is still both a black art in general [1] and a work in progress for
>> mythtv.
>>
>> [1] in that there seem to be many conflicting and varying
>> implementations of the 'standard'.
>
> Nobody is really working on uPnP in general in Myth.  Lots of things
> "seem strange" when there's nobody willing or able to do the work,
> when the real explanation is not strange at all.

I wasn't complaining, and if I could code and have spare time I would
do something about it. At the moment I run a mythtv mailing list, am
about to become admin on a support site and help here to help as much
as I can.

The fact that no one is working on it explains a lot. Posts like this
make me think that may change:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/420312#420312