[mythtv-users] UPnP and Video Metadata

J-e-f-f-A MythTV jeffa.myth at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 23:36:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Charles Waddell <cdwaddell at gmail.com>wrote:

> After a couple years away from MythTV, I got back into it this week, and
> was wondering if my setup is wrong or if this is by design. I am running the
> latest MythTV release on Ubuntu 9.10 with a PS3 UPnP as a streaming client
> in my living room. Should the UPnP menu break down into Title, Director,
> etc... if metadata has been imported for all of my media. Currently, I only
> get videoroot with the folder structure and the filenames for the videos.

The current UPnP implementation in myth is very basic.  You'll basically
just see a directory tree similar to:
     Recordings
     Videos
     Music
     Pictures

And under Recordings and Videos, you'll have some sort options, ie: "By
Date", "By Title" etc.

I'd also be surprised if your PS3 will play half of the videos, etc.  It's
very 'picky' what it will play because of it's DRM 'enforcements' [from what
I understand] - and will often 'complain' that the media is broken/bad and
just plain refuse to play it.

And as Robert mentioned, it doesn't read the Database metadata (although I
think it does read the DB for the basic information such as title and
subtitle.)

Is there room for improvement?  Sure!  But the Devs have much more important
things to keep them busy...  ;-)

I tried searching the list, and apologise if I missed a reply to a similar
> question in the past, but I have been off of the mailing list for a while.

The searchable mythtv mail archives are here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv

> Thanks in advance,
> CD Waddell

No Problem. ;-)