[mythtv-users] Misbehaving menus only with remote control

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Jan 25 19:33:44 UTC 2010

First of all I need to say Arghhhh!

Three days wasted trying to get to the bottom of this one, searching didn't find a thing about it so I'm posting it here in case anyone else gets caught.

My problem was, that in the Watch Recordings screen, pressing up or down arrow buttons instead of stepping up or down in the in the list gave me a menu, which I could then scroll up or down. Left brought the menu back, right played the recording under the cursor, once playing everything worked except stop or exit but pausing then stop worked. Biggest confusion was that in the regular menus all worked well, setup was fine!

Also using a regular keyboard worked fine, it was only the IR remote that was misbehaving.

Using irw to debug showed all the right codes, I must have been through the ./.mythtv/lircrc files a million times, all seemed fine.

So after a great deal of ripping apart lirc I eventually found out about ircat on the MythTV Wiki, this revealed the culprit. With every keypress there was a stray "I" being sent as well, hence bring up the "I" menu then arrow down, very very confusing. I guess the main menus ignore the extra button press as they worked fine, if everything had been misbehaving I would have found this a lot lot quicker.

I evidently got disturbed part way through adding some extra buttons to my universal remote and forgot where I had got to, didn't test methodically, specifically the Delete and Info keys after reading a thread about the Menu & Info keys on this list. Now the I key on my remote is mapped to * for some unknown historical reason, now with 20/20 hindsight it's completely obvious of course that this might cause trouble! Well I can confirm that a naked button = * in the lircrc is interpreted as generate this code for EVERY button press, doh! Well quoting the thing has solved the problem, button = "*" for anyone google brought this way.

Of course the remote seems much more responsive now ....

Andre