[mythtv-users] Acer Aspire Revo R3610 as a backend

Greg Cope gregcope at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 12:20:53 UTC 2010

On 25 Jan 2010, at 09:51, Ian Oliver <lists at foxhill.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm using some Revo R3600s as frontends (one setup so far, another in
> its box) and am musing on using a the R3610 dual-core version as a
> backend. I'll be using it with Hauppauge DVB-T USB tuners for UK
> Freeview, so pretty low bandwidth, and I don't need commflagging.
>
> Should a dual core atom be OK for this?
> Will I be ok with 6 USB tuners? I'd like to set 3-4 virtual tuners on
> each so we can record a fair number of things at once and the front-
> ends can use spare virtual tuners as long as there is a tuner already
> tuned to that mux. Will this work?
> Recommendations for other low power (30 watts?) backends gratefully
> received.
>
> Many thanks - I'm very new to mythtv, in case you can't tell!
>
> Ian

I use one with a dual USB tuner and two virtual tuners per tuner ie
four in all.

I ran tests for a few hours with various recording/watching combos.  I
posted the power results on the list a while back.

It works fine for me, and I sometimes see 3 recordings at once whilst
watching something else.  CPU usage peaks around 40% in these
schenarios so well within the r3610 dual core.  I use mine as a
combined fe/be.

One thing that is important is to have more than one disk to avoid
canning a single disk.  I use the os disk with mysql and an esata for
recordings.  I noticed issues in early testing without the esata where
iowait would creap up and cause prebuffering pauses on the frontend.
That would not be a problem for a be.

Can see a problem with your plan bar finding enough to record that much.

Where are you getting a Linux only r3610?  I can not seem to find any.

Greg