[mythtv-users] How to skip commercials in Myth 0.22

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Jan 23 09:27:56 UTC 2010

Patrick Doyle wrote:
>OK, I've been recording shows for a while now and am (finally)
>managing to find the time to watch them.  I have been curious to see
>how well commercial flagging worked.  So far, I am disappointed... It
>seems that I'm not skipping through commercials.  So I tried looking
>in the User's guide and, except for some mention of the Z and Q key in
>the Keyboard Commands section of the manual, I don't see any mention
>of commercial skipping (although there is a certain amount about
>commercial flagging).
>
>So I searched the wiki for "commercial", without much success.
>
>So I searched Gossamer Threads for "commercial" and found a discussion
>from 2008 talking about using Z,Q, left and right to jump around.
>
>So now I'm going to ask some questions here...
>
>What do the settings for "Commercial Auto-Skip" in the OSD do?
>Auto-Skip OFF -- that one seems pretty obvious.  It also seems to be
>the default setting.  Is there a way to change this default?
>Auto-Skip Notify -- what gets notified, and how?
>Auto-Skip ON -- didn't seem to work (well) when watching "The Good
>Wife", but seems to be working with "ABC News"
>
>When should I use the Z and Q keys?  One time, when I tried it, the
>show skipped ahead to the next commercial, 15 minutes later into the
>program.

The first thing to realise is that the skip functions use markers
determined by the commercial flagging program. As already mentioned
some broadcasters fiddle around to confuse such programs because they
don't want people skipping the commercials.

Over here in the UK, it's very variable as to how well it works.
That's understandable as different broadcasters do different things,
and the people writing the comm flagging software can only work with
what they are getting.

At one extreme, we've got Ice Road Truckers showing on Five. Don't
know if it's because it's an import from North America, but the comm
flagging on that is spot on - the narrator spouts off with the
"coming up next ..." waffle, I reach over for the keyboard, see the
splash screen, hit Z, get another second of the splash screen and
straight into the next segment. IIRC I think it also works well with
CSI - I think one of the key things here is that both programs have
very distinct splash screens with a few frames of black between them
and the commercials.

Another factor that may influence reliability of flagging is
auto-pad. I have my rules set to start 5 mins early, and so most
recordings start during the end of the previous program - I suspect
that can confuse the comm flagging since the things it's looking for
change early on during the recording.

At the other extreme, on many of our channels, and with many of our
programs, the comm flagging is pretty useless. If you hit Z and land
either in the middle of commercials, or jump ahead a whole program
segment, then commflagging hasn't worked for that program on that
channel at that time. If you immediately hit Q it will jump back to
where you were before you hit Z. You then need to use the skip ahead
or fast forward functions to manually skip the commercials.
Z simply means skip forward to the next commercial end marker, Q
means skip back to the previous commercial end marker (or to the
previous playback point if within a few seconds of hitting Z). If you
turn on autoskip, then the frontend does it for you which probably
isn't a good idea unless you are getting very reliable commflagging.
--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon
part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a
dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the
printer OS on it. If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd
be grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of
support for years.