[mythtv-users] Mythtv/liveTV fades to grey....

plainfaceboy plainfaceboy at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 21 23:19:19 UTC 2010

I've finally set up my UK Mythtv system and after a bit of fiddling have
generally got things working.
I've not tested everything fully, but I've got a few niggles with LiveTV.
Quite often (it seems mainly when it's not been on long) it fades to black
and white and although the TV continues to play I can't do anything - I'm
assuming maybe the backend is busy but wouldn't expect it to happen as often
as it does? Sometimes happens on the menus too, not just liveTV.

My system is;
Asus m3n78-Pro, with NVidia 8200, Phenom x3 705e, 4GB, ITB HD, with separate
partition for recordings.
Silverstone GD01 MXR case with LCD. Hauppauge HVR-4000 (1.22.82.0 firmware
as per linuxtv.org).
Am using built in LIRC and LCDProc and both seem to work fine (though not
fully configured)

MythTV 0.22 and latest fixes & Ubuntu 9.10 (32-bit)
I've scanned both DVB-T and DVB-S and have channels from both appearing in
my list.
Sometimes Live TV doesn't even start and returns to the menu, but then a few
tries later, sometimes after a reboot, it's fine again, though sometimes
with the fading to b&w.

Am using v4l-dvb-20091103 from hg.kewl.org.
I did try the 2.6.32 kernel but it seemed to cause lots of problems so am
back on 2.6.31-14.

Are there some settings I need to tweak that might help with this? Does
anyone have any suggestions?
I'm obviously at relatively early days with this install but would like to
get it more usable as soon as possible, so I can do the rest of the set up
at my leisure!
Thanks for any help.