[mythtv-users] Using Two DTAs with One PVR-500

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 20:16:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> Greg Oliver wrote:
>>
>> After almost 4 hours of manually inserting channels into a database,
>> it just dawned on me, I could drive somewhere that had a great
>> antenna, plug in - scan my channels and go home.  I don't know what
>> happened to manually importing channels (I never used it before, but I
>> could not find it in the menus)..  But it would have been much easier!
>>
>> Oh well, I am new, and figuring it out as I go so I can duplicate it..
>>  not complaining (too much) rather noting inefficiencies..
>
> All my channel importing comes from Schedules Direct. I edit my channel list
> on their web site then select "import from listing provider" (or however
> that's phrased) in mythtv-setup.

Mine does too, but the initial scan is used to determine the exact
frequency is used to actually change the channel I guess.  I needed to
test my remote control blaster last week, so I cranked up mce under
vista and installed the hdhomeruns.  It appeared to use zap2it for
local listings, but adding both tuners and getting the guide populated
took about 3 minutes!  I wish mythtv could "borrow" that code from
them   :)

> *My* latest confusion is that I'm eventually going to have three different
> video sources all using different subsets of the same Schedules Direct
> lineup: my DTAs/PVR-500, my HDHomeruns carrying the OTA channels and an STB
> doing Firewire.
>
> Schedules Direct points one here for this issue:
> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-24.html#ss24.4
>
> I'm going to simplify their instructions by keeping a master list of
> channels at SD, importing that into a new video source, then manually
> deleting the channels that don't apply to that source.
>
> At least I *think* it's more simple.

I have separate lineups for this.  A lineup for my locals that the
hdhruns use as their source, and then my hdpvr source (which I modify
the callsign and xmltvids) for overlap on the local channels..

It seems to work just like it is designed.

-Greg