[mythtv-users] Using Two DTAs with One PVR-500

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 02:45:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> Karl Newman wrote:
>>
>> Sorry for breaking the threading; I have mail delivery disabled for this
>> list so I can't reply directly.
>>
>> I recently was forced through the Comcast digital strainer and have a
>> similar setup to you (PVR-500). However, I chose the option to get one free
>> STB (Motorola something; uses DCT700 codes) along with a DTA. The advantage
>> of the STB is that it has composite output as well as RF, so I was able to
>> use the composite input on my PVR-500 for the STB and the RF input for the
>> DTA. The STB also has more channels available (like the music channels). So,
>> if anyone is going through this, you might ask them if you could get a STB
>> free.
>
> I blew my 'free' quota on the two DTAs since I also got a DCT-6200 so I
> could start working with Firewire recordings.
>
> I hear you on the grief factor. I remember after getting my first HDHomerun
> thinking that I'd be able to finally do away with my analog encoders.
>
> Ah, those were simpler, more innocent times... :)

Hear hear - simpler times where when broadcasting frequencies coul
dnot be changed, etc...  When linux could tune a card as well as the
vendor provided windows stack..  Unfortunately, no dice..

After almost 4 hours of manually inserting channels into a database,
it just dawned on me, I could drive somewhere that had a great
antenna, plug in - scan my channels and go home.  I don't know what
happened to manually importing channels (I never used it before, but I
could not find it in the menus)..  But it would have been much easier!

Oh well, I am new, and figuring it out as I go so I can duplicate it..
 not complaining (too much) rather noting inefficiencies..

-Greg