[mythtv-users] vdpaubuffersize

Frank Merrill fmerrill1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 06:15:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:41 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> After reading in recent -users messages of the unfamiliar-to-me
> vdpaubuffersize video-profile option, I found the commit notes for
> r22132. As mentioned there, vdpaubuffersize=32 permits my 0.22-fixes
> setup to correctly play killa.sampla.
>
> Is there any good reason to *not* use 32 (or the maximum 50, for that
> matter)? The notes talk about saving video memory, but why would I
> care about "saving" any of the 512MB my video card comes with? (And
> would a 256MB VDPAU card still support 50 buffers?)

The 256MB 8400GS card I have in one frontend does work, but I have to
actually reduce the buffersize.
On that machine, the frontend log reports that  the default vdpau
buffersize is 17, but I have to reduce it to 12 or it will fail to
play back 720p h.264 and then uses software decoding.  No
deinterlacing in that case, since it isn't interlaced content to begin
with.

I think for most cards that have at least 512MB, setting the vdpau
buffer size to 23 or above  will suffice in most cases.
As far as 'saving video memory', I'm not sure why either, unless it
might be useful for IGP's that are taking away some of the system
memory(?!?).

Frank