[mythtv-users] vdpaubuffersize

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Jan 19 05:41:17 UTC 2010

I wrote in late June 2009:
> [killa.sampla is] a 100MB clip from one of the episodes of _Planet
> Earth_ (on Blu-ray, I think). The clip severely stresses video
> decoders because it's a) very-unoptimally encoded as
> <URL:http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36803> discusses, and b)
> what appears in the video.
>
> mythfrontend 0.21-fixes+VDPAU on my frontend more or less seizes up
> immediately

After reading in recent -users messages of the unfamiliar-to-me
vdpaubuffersize video-profile option, I found the commit notes for
r22132. As mentioned there, vdpaubuffersize=32 permits my 0.22-fixes
setup to correctly play killa.sampla.

Is there any good reason to *not* use 32 (or the maximum 50, for that
matter)? The notes talk about saving video memory, but why would I
care about "saving" any of the 512MB my video card comes with? (And
would a 256MB VDPAU card still support 50 buffers?)

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array