[mythtv-users] 32 vs. 64 bit, any significant difference?

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jan 19 02:15:25 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Sharkey" <eric at lisaneric.org>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] 32 vs. 64 bit, any significant difference?

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> This maybe a little OT, however I've come up against the 2G file size limits
> in email clients. Best I can tell this is a 32 bit file size (client
> processing / handling?) limit.

>Support for large files isn't really a 32-bit vs. 64-bit
processor/kernel issue.  32-bit kernels have been able to work with
large files for quite some time.  See this for more info:

>http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html

>It's been stable for quite some time.  On the other hand, specific
applications may internally use 32 bit values for file offsets and
other such, and there's nothing the OS can do about that.  You need to
upgrade the application.

> Which email client are you using?

Outlook Express 6.  Its one of the anchors that keeps the need for XP for me.  I've been planning to ditch this for some time
however that's not been so easy....

I wish to retain my history as experience has proven to me I cannot predict what I might like to retrieve, so long ago I elected to
keep everything.  OE inboxes one can split into any number of <= 2G files however the sent box does not seem to enjoy the same
divisibility.  OE's compaction is not upto to handling these large file sizes, in my experience, which does not help.

I'm looking to move to a Linux email client, with an imap server on the LAN.  Ideally I'd like to reproduce my OE history on the
IMAP server.

Mail client options identified include Evolution, Thunderbird or maybe Zimbra.  As Evolution is more comprehensive it has some
appeal however my priority is a fast client that is fully searchable and reproduces the OE functions. (I expect some other benefits
might come along also...)

Getting them across might be fun, as a first step Win Thunderbird will translate into mbox formats, so I am hoping that creates a
path...but I've yet to figure out completing the transfer.  Knowing where I am heading might be helpful!