[mythtv-users] 32 vs. 64 bit, any significant difference?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Jan 19 01:57:09 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> This maybe a little OT, however I've come up against the 2G file size limits
> in email clients.  Best I can tell this is a 32 bit file size (client
> processing / handling?) limit.

Support for large files isn't really a 32-bit vs. 64-bit
processor/kernel issue.  32-bit kernels have been able to work with
large files for quite some time.  See this for more info:

http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html

It's been stable for quite some time.  On the other hand, specific
applications may internally use 32 bit values for file offsets and
other such, and there's nothing the OS can do about that.  You need to
upgrade the application.

Which email client are you using?

Eric