[mythtv-users] Diskless frontend - NFS options?

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Sun Jan 17 22:12:06 UTC 2010

Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> Thanks, that helped me get to a PXE boot setup where the NFS root uses
> TCP.  Unfortunately, it turns out to make no difference -- after
> rebooting the NFS server, the frontend root file system is gone and
> doesn't come back until the frontend is rebooted.  I wonder if the
> same thing happens on your system when the NFS server goes down and
> comes back?
>
> Jim

I have two diskless frontends, and both recover just fine after
rebooting the server. My config:

LABEL linux
        kernel vmlinuz-2.6.30-2-686
        append rootfstype=nfs root=/dev/nfs
initrd=initrd.img-2.6.30-2-686 nfsroot=192.168.1.2:/raid/netboot/bedroom
ip=dhcp rw

I do NOT have the root filesystem listed in my /etc/fstab on the
clients.  It doesn't seem to hurt anything not having it there.

On my system at least (Debian Squeeze), it uses TCP by default, as well
as hard mounting.  Looking at /proc/mounts:

192.168.1.2:/raid/netboot/bedroom / nfs
rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=262144,wsize=262144,namlen=255,hard,nointr,nolock,proto=tcp,timeo=7,retrans=10,sec=sys,addr=192.168.1.2
0 0