[mythtv-users] Prolem setting up default storage group

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jan 16 21:46:48 UTC 2010

On 01/16/2010 04:18 PM, steve wrote:

> I am just about done with setup and got to the storage groups step. I
> set just the default group and assigned it to /video (aiming for the
> separate partition on my 1TB drive). When I tried to exit, I got the
> error that directory “/video//.test is not writable” that doesn’t look
> like a valid file path/name.

(It's fine.)

> What have I done wrong?

2 things...

First, the permissions on the directory /video are broken. Since /video
would /have/ to be the mount point you're using to mount the extra
filesystem, you may have created a /video directory and given it the
appropriate permissions (drwxrwxr-x mythtv mythtv , for example), but
when you actually mounted the other file system, it "covered" the mount
point directory with it's own set of permissions--as set on the root of
the other file system. So, to make Myth work, you'd have to set the
permissions on the now-mounted file system. But...

Second, you should /never/ specify the mount point directory as a
directory in a storage group. If you do and for some reason the file
system isn't mounted, then MythTV will happily try to write to /video
(the mount point) without a separate file system behind it, so it will
then fill up the file system that contains the mount point--in this
case, the root file system.

So, to fix both problems, with the 1TB file system mounted, just:

sudo install -d -m775 -o mythtv -g mythtv /video/recordings

(and repeat for any other directories you want to use--i.e. for
/video/music, /video/video, etc.)

and then specify /video/recordings as the directory for the default
storage group in mythtv-setup.

Mike