[mythtv-users] major regressions in 0.22

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Fri Jan 15 17:53:35 UTC 2010

ryan patterson wrote:
> Wow!  You changed a heck of a lot more besides upgrading to MythTV .22
> (new distro/release, new computer, new mythtv).  Why do you think only
> MythTV .22 is the weak link?  I suggest restoring the old working
> MythTV .21 system.  Then upgrading one thing at a time.

Ryan,

While that is certainly good advice on the face of it, I don't think Ubuntu users (such as myself) have the option to do that while using Ubuntu-provided packages.

The reason being that mythtv 0.22 isn't provided on Ubuntu versions earlier than 9.10, and mythtv 0.21 is no longer provided on Ubuntu 9.10.

So anyone running mythtv on Ubuntu who needs to migrate to 9.10 is forced to combine the distro upgrade with the mythtv upgrade.

If I've got that wrong I'd certainly be interested in the details, because I'm going to have to go through this myself before April.

Thanks, Jan