[mythtv-users] Launch DVD playback gives garbage if no disc in drive

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Thu Jan 14 21:03:35 UTC 2010

Hi *

I have to users using DVD disc playback under 0.22-fixes:

Is You myth recognize empty DVD drive and behaves accordingly ?

In my case launching "/Optical Disks/Play DVD" with empty drive gives
garbage on screen. If DVD drive has disc - all is OK.

Analyzing myth logs with "media,extra" shows that in my case myth always
tries to open /dev/dvd - no mater have I disc in drive or not.
With empty drive, launch DVD playback gives:

2010-01-14 21:25:53.127 TV: Attempting to change from None to Watching DVD
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access
libdvdread: Could not open /dev/cdrom with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/cdrom for reading
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version svnR1169
libdvdnav: vm: failed to open/read the DVD
2010-01-14 21:25:53.137 Failed to open DVD device at /dev/cdrom

I look briefly over mythmediamonitor.cpp and mythcdrom-linux.cpp - there
are some functions designed to checking drive status, media type, etc.
In my case I have impression that internal dvd player simply is not
checking drive status and always simply tries to read media - no mater
have we media inside or not.

Is this kind of bug or I missed something ?

thx in advance