[mythtv-users] OT: 3D TV

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 20:27:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Justin Johnson
<justin.johnson3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> With all the 3D tv's announced at CES last week, and broadcasters beginning
> to experiment with it I wanted to see what people thought about it. From
> what I've read the synchronization signal for the glasses is carried over
> HDMI and then the TV has some device that communicates with the glasses to
> allow different frames to be shown to different eyes. Would this mean the
> end of the HD-PVR? Or would we just be stuck with a single set of the
> frames, essentially making the content 2D? I would assume that OTA data
> would be fine so long as the 3D data was still decoded from the MPEG2 stream
> and sent to the TV set.
> I'm also interested in what people think about 3D TV from a general viewing
> standpoint. Is it going to be as groundbreaking as HD? My thinking is that
> it could be, for some content, just as HD doesn't make a huge difference for
> many shows. Sports is where I see the largest benefit, same as HD. What do
> others think?
> --Justin Johnson

I have been wondering about this since (a) I saw Avatar and saw James
Cameron reported as saying that needing to see it at a cinema would
reduce internet piracy; and (b) seeing large chunks of the nVidia
README file devoted to stereo options (albeit on quadra cards only).