[mythtv-users] SiliconDust to Announce CableCard Product at CES [RUMOR]

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Thu Jan 7 16:03:56 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
>> That said, I don't think I'm particularly interested in
>> running Win7 in a VM on my backend system.
>
> Me neither, but it may be possible to interact with this box without
> it.  Sillicon Dust may be focusing on W7 for the initial release and
> provide at least limited Linux support at a later date.
>
> If I were them, I would engineer it with a network protocol which was
> not wholely unlike the existing HDHRs, so adding linux support would
> really be just tweaking the existing HDHR support.

Sure, you would like it to be that way.  In reality though - they now
have to meet the CableLabs requirements to preserve the DRM from
end-to-end, which means that they will be compelled to add support for
Windows DRM.

Just to be clear, we're not talking about a simple "copy flag"  that
we could just choose to ignore.  We're talking about strong encryption
and advanced key management integrated with Window's DRM and key
protection mechanisms.

Making any of these things work is going to be a *huge* undertaking
that the vendors are going to be contractually compelled to not only
be of no assistance, but to actually prevent it from being done by
others (the OCUR contract requires them to fix security holes that
result in the decryption of content or recovery of keying materials).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com