[mythtv-users] VDPAU on older pre-G98 8400 GS

Frank Merrill fmerrill1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 21:43:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> The advantage of the newer 8400gs was VC1 decoding ; but this is a
> non-issue these days as the newer drivers (since 180.44 I believe) the
> drivers can do the decoding in software.

We were pretty much typing the same things at the same time a little
bit earlier (about the decode not being done via VDPAU).

But, about what you said above differs with the info I have, which says:

Feature Set A
    Complete acceleration for H.264
    Partial acceleration for MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VC-1/WMV9
Feature Set B
    Complete acceleration for MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VC-1/WMV9 and H.264.

The difference was more about partial vs full decode in the GPU for
everything other than H.264
Of course that is from a Wiki and not from any direct knowledge I have
of any code, such that you may have.

In any case, if his card has the memory, it should be able to use
VDPAU decoding in Myth as the GPU would still at least do partial
MPEG2 decode for him.

Frank