[mythtv-users] FF h.264 files using Internal Player

Taylor Ralph tralph11 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 19:52:10 UTC 2010

--- On Tue, 1/5/10, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:

> From: Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] FF h.264 files using Internal Player
> To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Date: Tuesday, January 5, 2010, 2:23 PM
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:32 AM,
> Taylor Ralph <tralph11 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > If you are willing to compile then you can try a patch
> that improves libavf seeking when using the Internal
> player.
>
> Don't mean to hijack this thread, but it's sort of
> related.
> I gave these patches a try on my 0.22 system. They
> definitely seem to
> improve seeking on mkv files (a bit smoother, and the audio
> doesn't
> keep playing while fast forwarding). However, another issue
> I'm having
> is that after skipping back in an mkv, the video is
> somewhat jerky and
> out of sync with audio (audio plays smooth, though). This
> file is a
> DVD that I've transcoded to h264 in handbrake. If I leave
> all the
> settings alone and simply switch handbrake to generate a
> m4v file,
> that plays perfectly in myth. However, I'd prefer the MKV
> files if I
> can get them working good (so I can keep DTS audio for
> movies that
> have it). Any idea what causes this and if there's a
> setting or patch
> that can help?

The audio should stay consistent since you are most likely using audio as timebase for A/V sync. However, the video could become worse if A/V sync had issues.

You can try the following patch to benefit from the improved A/V sync handling.

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/attachment/ticket/7759/t7759_repeat_pict_v2.diff

Also make sure you have the following applied:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7454

And if you want to provide a sample I'll take a look.

--
Taylor