[mythtv-users] 0.22 annoyances

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 5 02:06:27 UTC 2010

On 01/04/2010 12:51 AM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2010, at 12:34 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> One is the menu (for that part of the application), the other is the
>> right-click/shortcut menu for the specific item.  But rather than
>> recognizing it for what it is, it seems that lately we have a bunch
>> of people using one-button mice (er, remotes) calling it bad UI
>> design.
>>
> You know lots about code but statements like the above show that you
> know very little about how normal people use MythTV.

Not trying to pick a fight, but this /is/ the way it was designed.  I
did not design it.  I did not claim responsibility for the design.  I
did not even espouse the design.  I simply stated a fact.

> (Exhibit A being, of course, the thread starting at
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/293679#293679>.
> While I admire your willingness afterwards to go to the trouble of
> creating a brand-new "Recording Rules" page, the simpler
> solution--renaming "Set Priorities"/"Recording Priorities" to
> "Recording Rules" (#5759) and adding to it the new fields your new
> page offers, or creating your new page but then deleting "Set
> Priorities" entirely--would've supported my point, eh? As you yourself
> acknowledge in the ticket, "all of the same functionality and
> information is available through both screens." So, instead,
> MythFrontend now has two near-duplicate pages. Yay, you.)

There is a very good reason why I was unable to change anything about
the Set Priorities screen (details are irrelevant, but I did what I
could within the constraints I was given).

>> Things have changed some in 0.22 (and will likely change even more
>> in the future).
>>
> See, here you yourself acknowledge the correct answer to my rhetorical
> question above. Justin's work or something very much like it will be
> implemented at some point, as other developers have stated on the
> mailing lists. Could it be because requiring two menu buttons really
> turns out, after all, to be bad UI design?

Again, simply stated a fact.  I did no such acknowledging--nor expressed
an opinion either way.

Mike