[mythtv-users] MythTV worth it still for HDTV?

Matt Goebel matt at goebelnet.com
Sun Jan 3 09:34:43 UTC 2010

I've been a long time MythTV user but lately all my myth systems are
getting used for is playback of downloaded video.  I've completely
stopped using it for recording or virtually anything else.  That main
reason being I no longer want to watch anything that's not in HD.
Unfortunately the firewire capture I used to successfully record HD,
almost 100% of the time, slowly got worse and worse until it didn't work
at all.   My systems were also older so struggled with playback
anyways.  So I eventually broke down and got a DVR from my cable
company.  I hate the thing with a passion.  It's got an TERRIBLE circa
1990's looking interface that hasn't changed in at least the last 5
years, it's dumb as it gets, recording the same program over and over
completely ignoring my setting to only record new episodes, limited
storage, no commercial skipping, etc, etc, etc, etc...   I'd absolutely
love to ditch it for something better, namely MythTV again (0.22!).

I'm getting ready to replace my old systems in the near future.  My
cable provider does SDV, with pretty much only the broadcast channels
available in clear HD.  I've been considering a couple options; an
HDhomerun for basic channel HD and an HDPVR, or a couple HDPVRs.  On the
broadcast channels I'd probably only record one to two programs a day
(at most), HBO Sunday nights, then there would a bunch of half hour
shows on other SDV channels say 3-4 per day, then lots of live HD on SDV
channels.  There are two TV's/frontends but likely only one in use at a
time.  Everything would have to be female friendly (easy to use without
my instructions/help) and somewhat reliable and trouble free.  I'm
willing to pay the little extra to get a couple HDPVR's etc but not a
ton more.  Is MythTV even worth the effort for all this anymore?  How
much of a hassle setting up channels because the channel guide is out of
date.. or you have to do it for the homerun/others?  How well is the
HDPVR working these days?  Any other suggestions?