[mythtv-users] Internal video player - avi/mkv files + external srt subtitles

Roald roalda at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 11:04:36 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 February 2010 12:56, George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com> wrote:
>> Subtitles come up in the same font as CC and some people have been finding the text pretty small. The dimensions are hardcoded so you may have to apply a change as described here:
> Last time I tried to play an AVI file with some .SRT subtitles, I
> thought the video was corrupted.
> All I got was a black screen.
> Never had good result with .srt and mythtv :(

I am using SRT-files with avi and mkv-files with good results. But
this is with 0.21. Are there differences between 0.21 and 0.22? That
would unfortunately be a real showstopper for upgrading for me. All of
the stuff under is with 0.21.

I dont think I had any success with .sub-files but I convert them with
Subtitle Workshop, and there is also a script here
http://www.robelix.com/sub2srt/ if you want something to run in Linux.

You can change the font for subtitles. I havent noticed that the
subtitles are small, and we are using Mythtv on screens ranging from
21" to 42".

If you have mkvs with text subtitles embedded you can extract them by:

mkvinfo movie.mkv and then find the track that contains the subtitles
you want. English is usually 3 and then extract like this:
mkvextract tracks movie.mkv 3:movie.srt.

Subtitles from a movie you converted from iso to mkv often works. (I
dont know the name of the format but usually they are composed of
images)

--
Roald Martin Amundsen