[mythtv-users] Wired vs Wireless

Douglas Choma doug at polaritylabs.com
Sun Feb 28 02:15:41 UTC 2010

On 2/27/10 5:06 PM, Donald J. Organ IV wrote:
> Currently I do not have a wired jack in my living rom by the A/V
> hardware.  I currently have a wireless G in my house.  And will be
> setting up my mythbox next week, in preparation I am not sure whether
> the G wireless will be adequate enough to handle recording from the
> dual HD HomeRun and watching say HD content from youtube....
>
> What would everyone recommend, should I tak the day tomorrow and run
> the Network cable, if I do I will probably run 2 or 3 cables on to put
> a switch in  and hook up the xbox/ps3/wii, and  a dedicated run for
> the FE/BE and a third as a spare.

Yeah... I would definitely recommend the wired connection.  I struggled
for months trying to get a single HD FE working properly over 802.11n.
Theoretically, it should be capable of supporting the necessary data
rate.  But it never really worked out.  I don't know if it was
interference from other wireless devices or maybe just cheap equipment,
but the intermittent "Prebuffering pauses" that drove me nuts.

After I ditched the wireless for good ol' cat5e, everything played nice
again.