[mythtv-users] Wired vs Wireless

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 01:44:33 UTC 2010

On 28 February 2010 01:06, Donald J. Organ IV <dorgan at donaldorgan.com> wrote:

> What would everyone recommend, should I tak the day tomorrow and run the
> Network cable, if I do I will probably run 2 or 3 cables on to put a switch
> in  and hook up the xbox/ps3/wii, and  a dedicated run for the FE/BE and a
> third as a spare.

Watching a single stream of SDTV should not be a problem on an 11g
link, but even a single HDTV stream could be problematic depending on
local conditions etc. Wired connections just do not suffer from the
same transient signal quality issues that can ruin watching content
over a wireless connection.

Additionally, with a wired connection you're going to be able to
transfer material at speeds approaching that of the headline bandwidth
of the equipment _per connection_. With a wireless AP connection, all
connections share the available bandwidth (theoretically 54Mbps for
11g), which can be lower than 50% of the "advertised" speed. In my
mind, it's no contest. Keep the AP for wireless web browsing etc, and
use wired infrastructure for your "heavy lifting".

Take the day, run the cabling, and even think about running at least a
couple more than you think you need as an insurance policy. Add a GbE
switch and you should be a happy MythTVer.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott