[mythtv-users] I need to reinstall my backend

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 21:23:11 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 5:12 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 02/27/2010 08:12 AM, Ian Oliver wrote:
>>
>> Ian Oliver wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks, re-install done, mythconverg restored, recordings all back in
>>> place, and everything set up more or less how I want it.
>>>

>> Drat, I didn't notice but I must have restored an old database and I've
>> lost a few recordings.  Is there any way to put these back into the
>> database or do I need to move the mpg files across to the videos
>> directory?
>>

> Best bet is to put them in MythVideo.
>
> You can, if you like, use the old, legacy, unmaintained,
> use-at-your-own-risk scripts myth_find_orphans.pl and
> myth.rebuilddatabase.pl to put the data into the database (but note that
> they will not insert some required information and will put some bad
> information in the database--thus my recommendation that you just stick the
> shows in MythVideo).

If those scripts are so bad, why are they still distributed with
mythtv and why is there no warning in the wiki? I could put something
in the wiki but I don't know enough about why they are bad to say
anything too intelligent (other than to point to this thread).

More importantly does anyone know what to do to fix them? They seem to
be useful :)