[mythtv-users] US Broadcasting bastards

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 03:05:37 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 14:32 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:

> the
> minutes

> > > This doesn't seem to work for me.
> > >
> > > I have set up recordings to start 2 minutes early and record over ten
> > > minutes by default (Setup -> Setup -> TV Settings -> General - General
> > > (Advanced).
> >
> > That is "soft" pre and post roll, it will be ignored for back to back
> > recordings.
> >

> > The per recording rule post and pre roll are "hard" and will be
> > honoured, even if you miss a show because there are not enough tuners.
>
> This is what I figured was happening.
>
> Two thoughts on how this could be better.
>
> 1. The scheduler could use different inputs (on the same tuner) where
> possible for back to back recordings so that this is still honored.
>
> 2. The could be an option in these soft settings to the record the
> start/end even if the programs are back to back (like it will if you set
> this up in the actual recording rules.)
>
> As many AU people have mentioned, show times are a little fluid.
>
> I regularly watch two back to back shows on a sunday night and it's
> annoying having the start of one show on the end of another (I want the
> whole show in each recording) and there's no reason why since these are
> back to back that the software values couldn't be honored on the same
> input.
>
> Is this bug worthy and how do I file a feature request?

No, and you don't.  There is no official feature request method.  There is a
space in the wiki where people have collected ideas but I'm sure this is not
a new one.

There was quite a bit of work done by developers on a "softpad" branch to
achieve these goals.  You can google/search the archives for MythTV and
softpad to get a sense of the effort involved and even the end result.  Rest
assured, it wasn't as simple an issue as it appears on the surface as the
scheduler is more than a A + B = C calculation.

Kevin

<http://ebible.com/bible/NIV/Hebrews%2011:1>