[mythtv-users] upgrade Fedora 9 to 12?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Feb 25 20:27:39 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 2010-02-16 20:43, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>>> Of course a 'normal' kernel can work in that space, so why not an
>>> upgrade situation?
>>
>> You trimmed the part where I explained the problem here. Your
>
> Nope.
> The ramdisk for a kernel does not need to be so big at all.
> We already have a kernel running, we are upgrading, right?
> So we can assume we can use all hardware, etc, etc. So don't even need
> that new kernel.

Wrong. I think what you're failing to understand is that pre-upgrade
pulls down a bunch of stuff to start an *anaconda*-based upgrade. You
have to reboot. You have to load the anaconda stage2 image from the
initrd that has to be in a place you can access before you have
modules for things like lvm and software raid. Ergo, /boot. Using your
current kernel is a non-starter. The initrd containing the anaconda
stage2 image would have to be rebuilt on each system to get the
appropriate kernel modules into it, and there's no guarantee anaconda
isn't relying on features that aren't present in your kernel.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com