[mythtv-users] US Broadcasting bastards

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 16:57:40 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Brian J. Murrell
<brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 08:44 -0800, Lonnie Borntreger wrote:
>>
>> When setting the recording, whether for one showing, weekly, all, or
>> whatever; just go to the "scheduling options" and you can choose to
>> change the start or end, early or late for either.
>
> The question becomes what does the scheduler to in the face of this when
> two programs are to be recorded back-to-back on the same tuner and both
> are asking for 5 minute pre and post-rolls?
>
> If they are on the same channel, I have often mused that Myth could
> handle that by writing that 5 minutes of what will be post-roll on the
> first show and pre-roll on the second show (i.e. it's the same 5 minutes
> in time for both) to both files.
>
> But if they are on different channels it of course becomes more
> difficult without a tuner for each program.
>
> FWIW, I now have 4 tuners in my myth "network".  3 in the master BE and
> one that I put into another machine around here just to handle the rate
> situation when there are in fact 4 things all on at the same time that
> we want to record.  :-)

Yeah, I've given up to the fact that no matter what software I use to
record, it will never be able to read my mind unfortunately :)

I just want to be able to say "always stop 5 minutes early on
letterman, and switch to channel 11 to record the other show on
time"..  It seems that channels 8 and 11 (in Dallas) has moved
programming by 5 minutes while the others remain on-time from 9
onwards..  Kind of depressing what they are resorting to.

I would really hate for them to only get 690K instead of 700K for an
ad spot since so many of us are skipping their commercials  :)