[mythtv-users] Live TV channel restrictions

Ian Oliver lists at foxhill.co.uk
Thu Feb 25 13:08:08 UTC 2010

In article <4B85659F.8050703 at thirdcontact.com>, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> /me wonders just how many PVR's you've seen that support recording from
> X virtual tuners on each of Y physical capture cards

Exactly none. :-)

But I do have a PVR where X and Y are both two. Does is seem sensible that
increasing X and Y imposes additional limitations rather than removing
some?

> this being the
> configuration where you tell MythTV that Live TV is important to you.

It is important to me, but less important than recordings.

> Note that in the second case, you get exactly what you seem to want--a
> separate physical capture card for each LiveTV session.

No, that really, really isn't what I want. I don't care about the backend's
allocation of tuners and capture cards. If the mix of recordings and Live
TV can be achieved with the available pool of tuners, then great. If it
can't then impose justifiable and rational restrictions on Live TV.

> It's not the absolute time required for
> scheduling that caused the devs who implemented multirec to choose a
> limit of 5 virtual tuners (as the absolute time /would/ be hardware
> specific), it's the difference in scheduling time required between 5 and
> 6 (and 7 and 8 and ...) virtual tuners.  Graph it and you'll see a
> non-linear growth.

Interesting - I'll have a play.

Ian