[mythtv-users] Disabling the internal player

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 19:55:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Yaron <mythusers at freakzilla.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>  He's talking about TV /recordings/ not random videos.  The Internal player
>> works better for them than any external player.
>>

> And I'm talking about personal preference.
>
> Also, what if I like transcoding the TV shows into a format the internal
> player doesn't like?
>
> As I've said, I DO have a solution that uses my own player, so no worries.
> It'd just be slightly more convenient to be able to tell MythTV to use my
> player for everything, since the recording MANAGEMENT side is really good.

There's nothing stopping you, or anyone, from adding a simple "Play using
external player" option to the MENU on a recording and launching an external
player with the filename of the recording.  It's probably a less than 10
line change to MythTV and could easily be kept in your local patches.
That's the beauty of open source.  I think the main branch of MythTV has
been pretty clearly geared towards using the Internal player such that any
effort would be put into making it more compatible with all recordings and
transcodes rather than putting effort into avoiding it.

Kevin