[mythtv-users] LEDs as an output device, was: Revo 1600 looks even better now

Francesco Peeters francesco at fampeeters.com
Tue Feb 23 19:37:30 UTC 2010

On 2/23/10 21:26 , Ian Oliver wrote:
> In article <201002230757.43832.beww at beww.org>, Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> Whatever happened to the old LED color code? Green means something that should
>> be on, red means something you need to investigate.
>>
> We used to have a hardware engineer who had some odd ideas regards colours. He
> once spent ages trying to convince me that RED=RUN was sane and sensible. He now
> doesn't work for me.
>

>> Its amazing how much you can tell about what a machine is doing just from a
>> simple LED, and disturbing how many ways the marketing types can find to
>> eliminate this important source of information.
>>
> We don't tend to let marketing do product specifications. They once sent one in
> and asked for top-level consideration. Here is an extract: "Product will have a
> modern and appealing user interface incorporating at least two blue LEDs"  Now
> you see why we don't let them do specs!!!
>
> Ian

Yeah, at our company our engineers have weird ideas too...

Things like:
led off = subsystem disabled
led green = (sub)system up and running
led green (blinking) = activity
led yellow = warning
led red = error/critical

I mean, how do you think up things like that?
And then they have the guts to put in something like 10-12 of those leds
in a matrix and put text next to it like "Power", "Link", "Activity", etc.

And to make it worse, it actually makes sense to our users!  ;-þ

--FP