[mythtv-users] Tuner opinions?

Eloy Paris peloy at chapus.net
Mon Feb 22 19:09:34 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 07:16:25PM -0500, Dale Pontius wrote:

[...]
> I've got a pair, and I believe that the card has essentially 2 separate
> tuners, which can be used at the same time.  I haven't actually done
> this - I haven't actually done more than test the digital side, yet.
> But I have only defined the NTSC side to mythtv, and I've played around
> with the digital side independently.  Presumably mythtv has exclusive
> access on the analog side, and if the two were linked I wouldn't be able
> to do that.

I have a 1600 too, and I think you can record digital and analog
simultaneously with no problems. I haven't had problems with the
card and would recommend it, if you (well, the original poster) have
available PCI slots. I also have an HDHomeRun and think it is great.

> If you want a more authoritative scoop on the card, I'd ask on the ivtv
> list.  The author(s) of the drivers hang out there, and are very
> helpful.  Oh, and the latest'n'greatest drivers are still out-of-tree,
> though I think they'll finally be fully included in 2.6.33.

I'm using the in-kernel driver (currently running 2.6.32) and it's
been stable. The only issue I've had is that Myth can't seem to get
the signal strength and SNR from the card. I'd think that is a driver
issue but am not sure. Hopefully that'll magically start to work at some
point.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-