[mythtv-users] Tuner opinions?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Feb 22 19:21:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 02:09:34PM -0500, Eloy Paris wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 07:16:25PM -0500, Dale Pontius wrote:
>
> [...]
> > I've got a pair, and I believe that the card has essentially 2 separate
> > tuners, which can be used at the same time.  I haven't actually done
> > this - I haven't actually done more than test the digital side, yet.
> > But I have only defined the NTSC side to mythtv, and I've played around
> > with the digital side independently.  Presumably mythtv has exclusive
> > access on the analog side, and if the two were linked I wouldn't be able
> > to do that.

    As long as the recording hardware handles all of the video compression
then you should be fine. My own 1600 works great as a combined FE/BE with
all the recordings streaming to the master backend.

    My only real complaint/problem is about how my DTV recievers have a nasty
habit of deciding to no longer listen to the USB port. I'm tempted to go back
to using IR blasters.

> I have a 1600 too, and I think you can record digital and analog
> simultaneously with no problems. I haven't had problems with the
> card and would recommend it, if you (well, the original poster) have
> available PCI slots. I also have an HDHomeRun and think it is great.
>
> > If you want a more authoritative scoop on the card, I'd ask on the ivtv
> > list.  The author(s) of the drivers hang out there, and are very
> > helpful.  Oh, and the latest'n'greatest drivers are still out-of-tree,
> > though I think they'll finally be fully included in 2.6.33.

[deletia]