[mythtv-users] canceled recording (Recorder Failed) mystery

Bob Gamble kiksadiweb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 22:10:40 UTC 2010

Here is what I seen last night when a scheduled recording failed and I tried
to manually start it.  I selected to start watching livetv.  It would bounce
me back to the menu.  This is using the
test script.  I restarted the backend but it would not let me watch livetv.
 I rebooted.  Again, it wouldn't let me watch livetv.  It came up with the
message on the screen "Could not connect to
the master backend server -- is it running?  is the ip address set for it in
the setup program correct?"  Of course it was and as far as I could tell,
the mythbackend was running.

After stopping and restarting the backend a couple more times, it finally
let me watch livetv, at which time I used the keyboard to change to the
channel I wanted to record.  I manually started
the recording.  It was supposed to record until 11pm but stopped at 9:30pm.
 After this, I began testing using the box_type=H21 in the test script.  It
let me watch live tv, change channels without
failure both with the keyboard and the Harmony remote.

I noticed though, when changing with the keyboard, before it changed to the
right channel, the channel I was originally on (NBC), would
quickly flash on the screen.  Even if I was on that channel several channel
changes previous.  So for example, I started on channel 5, NBC.  I changed
to 206 successfuly.  I changed to 550, and
before changing to that channel, it would flash channel 5 on the screen.
 This happened every time I changed channels with the keyboard thereafter
for several more changes.  I can't explain any
better than that.

So this indeed is a strange issue.  Sorry the time I spent troubleshooting
was a bit lagged.  I think I'll have more time to test in the next couple
days.