[mythtv-users] New HTPC FrontEnd/BackEnd

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 17 18:57:09 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 17 February 2010 11:40:58 am Donald J. Organ IV wrote:
> Can you guys take a look at this and see if maybe I should add/change
>  something on this list or even cut costs without hurting performance.
>

> http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=1192
> 2645

You might consider a smaller HDD, or even an SSD, just for the OS and DB,
since you have space for additional drives.

I think that PSU is overkill, but I understand that smaller ones are getting
hard to find. Funny that the trend is toward less power-hungry machines, along
with bigger power supplies, seems a bit counter-intuitive to me.

You're buying two GPUs (the 6150 and the GT 220 card) but I guess the cost of
the 6150 is almost nil with that mobo. A mobo without any graphics might be
cheaper, and pull fewer watts, if you could find one. Funny that a 6150 is
almost considered minimum graphics capability these days. I guess we'll start
seeing 6150s in server boards soon :-)