[mythtv-users] DirecTV / Hauppauge HD PVR questions

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 18:28:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Pete Ashdown <pashdown at xmission.com> wrote:
> I'm getting sick of waiting for DTV & Tivo to get their act together with
> the new DirecTivo.  I'm sure when it comes out it will be locked up tighter
> than an engine block soaking in salt water.  I stumbled across the Hauppauge
> HD PVR today and it seems like a good option to get HD DirecTV into Myth.  I
> have a couple of questions.
>
> What is the recommended receiver?  Based on
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_%28STB%29_via_USB_or_Serial
> , I am guessing the D12-300 would be best.
>
> I saw some mention that there is no way to shut off the channel banner when
> changing channels on the DTV receivers via IR.  Is this true of serial
> control as well?  Does MythTV have any facility to change the channel X
> seconds before recording with the HD PVR?
>
> What happened to the hubbub behind the MPAA asking to shut off component
> outputs for newly released movies?  Has DTV complied with any of these
> requests?  Have they downrez'd anything on component yet?

Prior to purchasing the HD-PVR, I talked to DTV and made sure there
were no plans on disabling the component outputs or providing less
features on them.  The only thing you cannot do is watch some of the
1080p only movies they "rent"..

I actually have a TV in the house (1st rev HD 73" mits from 1990's)
that is only component +{h,v}sync in...  They assured me it will work
as long as the receivers I use have the outputs.  I only have HDDVRs
in the house though.

With DTV rolling out the multiroom viewing the week before last, I am
pretty screwed putting mythtv on all my TVs now :(

Oh well, my TV is the only important one to me :)

-Greg