[mythtv-users] DirecTV / Hauppauge HD PVR questions

Pete Ashdown pashdown at xmission.com
Fri Feb 12 18:22:06 UTC 2010

I'm getting sick of waiting for DTV & Tivo to get their act together
with the new DirecTivo.  I'm sure when it comes out it will be locked up
tighter than an engine block soaking in salt water.  I stumbled across
the Hauppauge HD PVR today and it seems like a good option to get HD
DirecTV into Myth.  I have a couple of questions.

What is the recommended receiver?  Based on
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_%28STB%29_via_USB_or_Serial
, I am guessing the D12-300 would be best.

I saw some mention that there is no way to shut off the channel banner
when changing channels on the DTV receivers via IR.  Is this true of
serial control as well?  Does MythTV have any facility to change the
channel X seconds before recording with the HD PVR?

What happened to the hubbub behind the MPAA asking to shut off component
outputs for newly released movies?  Has DTV complied with any of these
requests?  Have they downrez'd anything on component yet?

Thanks.