[mythtv-users] Calling all Acer Revo AR1600-U910H users

Scott Alfter scott at alfter.us
Wed Feb 10 21:44:47 UTC 2010

(Top-posting's bad...m'kay?)

On 8 Feb 10 16:50, Michael Drons wrote:
> Can I get it without windows xp installed?

Acer's website makes mention of systems with preinstalled Linux, and different
(?) BIOS downloads are provided for systems that shipped with Linux vs. systems
(like mine) that shipped with Windows.  I don't know if there actually is a
difference, or if anybody's currently selling them with Linux.  The one Fry's
carries has Windows on it; I actually left it on there, shrunk its partition
with SysRescCD, and put Linux on it.

> Whats the distro of choice on it?  All of my myth devices run gentoo today.

I have Gentoo on mine; if you're familiar with it, I'd stick with it.  It
didn't take an inordinately long time to bring it up, though I went with a more
minimalist setup than usual.  I'm using Ratpoison as the window manager, and I
auto-login with this in /etc/conf.d/local.start:

nohup su - mythtv -c startx 2>&1 >/dev/null &

> Just to confirm, no built in IR receiver,  whats a good remote/usb receiver.
> I have a MCE combo and the remote is "cheap" feeling.

I plugged in a Bluetooth dongle...one of the small ones that barely sticks out
from a USB port.  I'm still trying to get a Playstation 3 remote to work
reliably with it (the machine forgets about it after a while), but an Apple
Wireless Keyboard has worked reliably for me so far.  (From what I've seen,
it's actually one of the cheaper Bluetooth keyboards, and it's relatively small
and lightweight.)

Scott Alfter
scott at alfter.us