[mythtv-users] Planning Tuners and Disk I/O for a MythTVBackend System

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Feb 9 03:13:32 UTC 2010

* On Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 12:44:07PM -0800, Jim Beckett wrote:
> /dev/sda (first SATA internal disk) - 500.1GB SATA (460GB formatted)
>
>   sda1, 460GB, mount point /recordings1, XFS
>
> /dev/sdb (second internal disk) - 500.1GB SATA (460GB formatted)
>
>     sdb1, 400GB, mount point /recordings2, XFS

For Storage Groups, you never want to set the Storage Group to point at
the root directory of the filesystem.  You want to point the Storage Group
at a subdirectory on the filesystem.  This way if the filesystem is not
mounted properly for some reason, MythTV will detect this since the Storage
Group directory doesn't exist and will not use that directory instead of
recording to the mount point itself potentially filling up your root
partition.

Something like this:

sda1 -> /recordings1
sdb1 -> /recordings2

and your Storage Group points at:

/recordings1/mythtv   and
/recordings2/mythtv

or something like that.

The mount points on my fileserver are setup like this:

/nas/video1
/nas/video2
/nas/video3
/nas/video4
/nas/video5

with my Storage Group dirs of:

Default      -> /nas/video1/mythtv/recordings
Default      -> /nas/video2/mythtv/recordings
Default      -> /nas/video3/mythtv/recordings
Default      -> /nas/video4/mythtv/recordings
Default      -> /nas/video5/mythtv/recordings
(I have the 'mythtv' extra dir in there for my production setup because I
 also have a 'dev' equivalent on the same fileserver)

Videos       -> /nas/video1/movies/
Videos       -> /nas/video5/movies/
Fanart       -> /nas/video1/images/fanart
Banners      -> /nas/video1/images/banners
Screenshots  -> /nas/video1/images/screenshots
Coverart     -> /nas/video1/images/coverart

--
Chris