[mythtv-users] Planning Tuners and Disk I/O for a MythTVBackend System

Jim Beckett beckett.jim at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 05:12:16 UTC 2010

Chris Pinkham wrote:
> For Storage Groups, you never want to set the Storage Group to point at
> the root directory of the filesystem.  You want to point the Storage Group
> at a subdirectory on the filesystem.  This way if the filesystem is not
> mounted properly for some reason, MythTV will detect this since the Storage
> Group directory doesn't exist and will not use that directory instead of
> recording to the mount point itself potentially filling up your root
> partition.
Chris,

Thanks for this explanation above.

I don't remember why I was prompted to do it this way originally, but I did.

I ended up using the super-duper creative directory name 'files':

/recordings/files/
/recordings2/files/
/videos/files
/music/files
...etc.

Is there a technical reason that the fanart, banners, screenshots, and
coverart directories are all two levels down? Or, is it just aesthetic
preference?

/>Videos       -> /nas/video5/movies/
>Fanart       -> /nas/video1/images/fanart
>Banners      -> /nas/video1/images/banners
>Screenshots  -> /nas/video1/images/screenshots
>Coverart     -> /nas/video1/images/coverart/

Considering the new disk configuration:

/dev/hda

   hda1, 96GB, mount point /, Ext3
   hda2, 200GB, mount point /multimedia, XFS
   hda3, 2GB, SWAP

/dev/sda

   sda1, 460GB, mount point /recordings1, XFS

/dev/sdb

   sdb1, 400GB, mount point /recordings2, XFS

...the storage groups (with matching directory structure on disk) should
end up like this:

Default     ->    /recordings/files/
Default     ->    /recordings2/files/
Music       ->    /multimedia/files/music/
Pictures    ->    /multimedia/files/pictures/
Videos      ->    /multimedia/files/videos/
Fanart      ->    /multimedia/files/images/fanart/
Banners     ->    /multimedia/files/images/banners/
Screenshots ->    /multimedia/files/images/screenshots/
Coverart    ->    /multimedia/files/images/coverart/

Again, thanks to you, and everyone else who has responded, for all the
assistance!

- Jim