[mythtv-users] Proper Way To Control Multiple Devices with lirc_seral ?

Jeff Artz jeffa.myth at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 14:42:52 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 4:47 AM, Steven <steven at niceguyscomputer.com> wrote:

>  I am wondering about controlling multiple devices with my serial blaster
>
> I am wondering if I can just make a new change_chan.sh script with the
> different remotes in it and just point my hd-pvr to that change_chan script
>
> So that way I can control my one dishnetwork box and my hd dishnetwork box
> via the same lirc_serial device?

I do exactly that with 3 Dish SD receivers now, all set to different code
sets.  I have a home-made buffered serial blaster with 3 IR eyes, one in
front of each receiver.

My dish receivers are set to codesets 1, 6 and 9, and have corresponding
remote controls defined in my  lircd.conf file.

As far as simultaneous recordings - no worries - only one channel change
script will run at a time, so if I have 3 programs kick off at the same
time, it will only do one channel change at a time, so it will change one
receiver, then another, etc. (Each channel change takes between 1 and 2
seconds in my configuration.)

My channel change scripts can be found on my page here:
http://jartz.gotdns.com:8008/files/lirc
(You can ignore the 'fix_audio' script that's kicked off - that's to remedy
an ivtv issue I have.)

J-e-f-f-A