[mythtv-users] PCM type noise when HDMI cable is connected

RALPH KEMP 4romany at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 04:01:40 UTC 2010

Friend of mine build a mythbuntu system - got everything working in this
"lab" - using a 23in LCD with external speakers (connected to the computer
sound card).  All well and good...disconnects the computer - takes and hooks
it to a HDTV - essentially the same way HDMI to DVI for video and analog out
of the sound card to the audio L/R of the TV - and all he gets is what to my
ears sounds like digital poping noise.  I sold him this TV and on my myth
box - using the same type of connections - it worked fine.    From what I
read DVI interface does not carry sound so I would not think there is a
setup issue on the computer causing the noise.   From what he tells me the
video plays fine from myth - but only the poping sounds are heard.Possible
bad cable I suppose.   Anyone have any insights on this?   I hope to swing
by and look at it tomorrow.....