[mythtv-users] PCM type noise when HDMI cable is connected

Rafael Moslin rafmoslin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 11:08:04 UTC 2010

On 7 February 2010 04:01, RALPH KEMP <4romany at gmail.com> wrote:
> Friend of mine build a mythbuntu system - got everything working in this
> "lab" - using a 23in LCD with external speakers (connected to the computer
> sound card).  All well and good...disconnects the computer - takes and hooks
> it to a HDTV - essentially the same way HDMI to DVI for video and analog out
> of the sound card to the audio L/R of the TV - and all he gets is what to my
> ears sounds like digital poping noise.  I sold him this TV and on my myth
> box - using the same type of connections - it worked fine.    From what I
> read DVI interface does not carry sound so I would not think there is a
> setup issue on the computer causing the noise.   From what he tells me the
> video plays fine from myth - but only the poping sounds are heard.Possible
> bad cable I suppose.   Anyone have any insights on this?   I hope to swing
> by and look at it tomorrow.....

Only thing I can do is agree with you that DVI-D does not do sound so
that the HDMI cable is unlikely to be the source of the problem. In
saying that should the TV audio source be set to get sound from the
HDMI input rather than its RCA's then there is perhaps the chance of
crosstalk causing the odd spurious 'pop' sound. Either way it seems to
me that the audio source is incorrectly set either on the PC output or
TV input.

Not a particularly useful response I grant you but hey, its a slow
Sunday morning!