[mythtv-users] capture card

Tom Furie tom at furie.org.uk
Thu Feb 4 21:51:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:32:57PM +0000, Paul Clark wrote:

> > If there are multiple shows being broadcast on the same frequency
> > (mux/multiplex), a single (multi-record capable) card should be able to
> > record two, or more, shows at a time.
> >

> Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I had heard of multirec but
> didn't really know what it was about.  I've updated my capture cards
> settings and set both to record up to 2 streams at once.  I didn't have to
> delete and readd them as the wiki suggests.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Record_multiple_channels_from_one_multiplex
>
> I have have 4 tuners appearing in mythweb.  I'm in the UK and record lots
> from the BBC which is mostly on the same mux so this should help with the
> 'all tuners in use' problem we sometimes get at home.

What I don't understand with multirec is why the number of simultaneous
recordings is limited. Surely, if you're tuned to one mux, you should be
able to record everything that is coming across on that frequency? In
theory that would mean that here in the UK, you could record everyhing
on Freeview with six physical tuners. I'm not sure how many more would
be needed for Freesat.

Cheers,
Tom

--
While anyone can admit to themselves they were wrong, the true test is
admission to someone else.