[mythtv-users] DVI video/Sound card recomendation

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 19:33:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> You know that DVI doesn't support audio, right?  You'd be better off,
> >> most likely, getting an nVidia card that has an HDMI output - perhaps
> >> a 210 or 220?
> >
> > I currently have my frontend/backend connected to my TV with an DVI-HDMI
> > cable, and the sound works fine. My motherboard has on-board video/sound,
> so
> > I didn't have to do anything to connect a sound card to my video card,
> but I
> > know this can be done as well.
> >

> You have audio running over your DVI cable?

my dvi-hdmi cable, yes.  It's the only cable connecting the two devices.
There are a multiple versions of the DVI port, and I'm not sure what type my
BIOSTAR TPower N750 AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD
Motherboard<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138108R>
has,
but it definietly works.  I have myth configured to use hdmi sound, etc.
The only issue is that some of my older video files with basic stereo sound
lack audio (probably something I can fix, but haven't bothered to), but live
recordings form my dual PVR-500's etc. all work fine.