[mythtv-users] Wireless HD success

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 19:16:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Adam Wood <a at acdubs.com> wrote:
> There was discussion earlier about running FEs wirelessly.
>
> I bought a pair of wireless N routers and a bridge (and crossed my fingers)
> in an attempt to connect my MacBook Pro FE to my Mythbuntu box in the
> basement without doing any drilling. At distances of less than 25 feet I can
> stream HD programs without issue. Playback will stutter if I’m on the second
> story and network traffic is heavy.

It's definitely possible.  I can stream HD from my wireless-g router
to my wife's Macbook (which has n capability) perfectly.  The router
is in the basement and we use it to watch TV in bed sometimes on the
2nd floor.  Trying to go from the same router to my mac mini (with
only a g card) wirelessly didn't work at all even though the mac mini
is much closer to the router.

It seems to be down to luck, magic (and lots of other boring stuff
like microwave ovens and how many neighbours you have)