[mythtv-users] Hauppauge

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Feb 3 16:19:53 UTC 2010

On 3 Feb 2010, at 15:40, Gary Heard wrote:

> Hi, I'm running SuSe11.2 (64 bit) and trying to get a Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2 to work.  How should it appear in the system setup for a TV Card?  Currently it shows as 3 seperate cards. for TV, MPEG and Audio.
>
> I got the firmware from a site that said this card is the same as the HVR-4000, but it doesn't seem to work.

It's the same, I have a HVR-4000 and a HD-S2, they both use the same firmware.

> Can someone tell me
>
> 1) Is the fimware I downloaded the correct one for this card

There are some odd problems with the firmwares, if you use the latest (I built a new machine three weeks ago) v4l-dvb driver from the hg repository then the firmware 1.26.90 works best. If your kernel has an older driver then 1.26.90 doesn't work! You have to use 1.22.82 or 1.20.79

You will find all the instructions on the v4l-dvb wiki for the HVR-4000 and all the firmware, yes it works for the HD-S2, I have installed four systems with this card all working well. I had some big problems with my first HD-S2 but it turned out it was faulty, when the card disappeared from lspci I realised something was very very wrong.

> 2) How should it display in the TV Card setup, 3 cards or a single card

It shows as /dev/video0 an Analogue V4L capture card, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR4000(lite)
Also as /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 a DVB DTV capture card, Conexant CX24116/CX24118Subtype: DVB-S2

Maybe as something else as well but I am only using DVB so I haven't looked further.

> Finally Myth (0.22) doesn't see it as a DVB card so I can never scan for channels, I hope I'm right in thinking if I can get the Firmware to work correctly it should be recognised as a DVB card

You need to look for the firmware loading in dmesg or /var/log/messages (wherever Suse puts the kernel console messages)

cx24116_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware upload (2)...
cx24116_load_firmware: FW version 1.26.90.0
cx24116_firmware_ondemand: Firmware upload complete

If you only get the waiting for firmware message then you have put the firmware in the wrong place, /lib/firmware/dvb-fe-cx24116.fw on Ubuntu, Suse I do not know. I have all three firmwares and a symbolic link at dvb-fe-cx24116.fw easier to change around.

No firmware, no DVB.

I read some time ago there was a big problem with the 64 bit driver for this card but I read of many people using it in 64bit systems and there are many commits for 64bit fixes in the v4l-dvb tree.

Andre